Sunday, August 29, 2010

I live with Namaka Keita...yeah, it's the house with the carousel and hot tub jacuzzi ;)

So, as you can tell internet service is a) not readily available and b) not truly reliable. In fact, I am relishing in the fact that at 6 in the afternoon I have been able to check gmail, facebook and write on my blog! I am not sure where to start to catch up! First of all, as is the truth with all my other host families in the past my homestay host family is truly wonderful!! My nine weeks living with them were truly an integral part of formation as a volunteer. Not only did they take me in as a member of their family practically from day one, but they completely spoiled me in everyway! It was so great that while every other fellow trainee would complain about living conditions, language barriers, food and general issues with their families I would almost always have to scrounge for any true problems. That is why my friends in homestay, fellow environment volunteers, would joke that I lived in a mansion with the carousel out front and the hot tub jacuzzi! They provided me with language support, cultural misunderstandings and just general involvement in their lives. I quickly became friends with the oldest son, Gawsu. We would go on bike rides to nearby villages, go out to the fields, play games and even went fishing. They quickly gave me a husband, Banjuku (age 3!) and he and Bangike latched on to me as well giving me more support! Women around my age would come and go every week working or staying with the family and they were great friends too! I shared gifts with them and I would get cookies, cheese (Laughing Cow) and fruit treats as well. We went to the market together, cooked together and went to the tailor to get outfits made for me. My host mom was a great support helping me throughout the time by being so comforting (actually gave a hug and a kiss on separate occasions!) and proud of my skills and lessons learned. As I have left homestay for good I will truly miss all of them and plan on visiting them often!

I will report on site soon. And, as I am swearing in this Friday, will not be contacting more than a couple of times for the next 3 months as I am to stay and integrate in the village only leaving twice for market/banking needs!

Until later--allah ka nogon nogoyake!

No comments:

Post a Comment