Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hunger Awareness Week!

Last week, I decided to participate in this awareness campaign and only ate what I could buy for $1 each day. It is quite appropriate that this blog entry would come after my latest one devoted to the tasty treats I make on a regular basis to supplement my general lack of any sort of reasonably nutritional diet. This past week was a true test of my endurance. The unbearably heat and humidity of the rainy season compounded by my general lack of energy and motivation gave me little reason to get off the floor . Each morning, I made myself the rice milk beverage that many have for their first meal of the day. However, upon waking every day I would be faced by such a strong feeling of hunger that I would hardly be motivated to get out of bed knowing that I would have to boil the water and cook the rice before I would have anything to eat. One morning I attempted to turn my focus on other tasks that needed to be accomplished while waiting for the rice to cook, but that just meant burning half of it and just eating cooked rice for breakfast.
I did take away a deeper appreciation for things over the duration of the week. Primarily, I found myself truly feeling more grateful for the little bit of subsistence farming that I have been doing. In my concession, I am growing tomatoes, basil and an orange flesh sweet potato and out back I have a small bit of land dedicated to wax beans. (The pictures added here includes: the tomato plant with lovely ripe fruits, my first harvested tomato and some picked beans from the field).
Of course, I spent a lot of time thinking about the snacks that I generally eat throughout the day from the wonderful packages I receive that keep me going. It was also a challenge because I normally supplement my diet with locally produced goods that were too great of an expense to buy for my $1 a day budget. I would regularly pick up eggs, loaves of fresh bread and fried batter all produced/sold by my neighbors. It got me thinking of how really special even those small items are to me. I had watched children light up over a fried egg sandwich or a small dough ball for small change and I can now better grasp their definition of a splurge in comparison to a standard purchase of my own.
This reminds me of how grateful I am for what is known to be my meager stipend while serving here as a volunteer and how much it actually allows me to live a very comfortable life amongst the hardworking farmers and herders in village. While hunger is a state I only spent a week experiencing it gave light to realities of the issues of availability, accessibility and utilization that people out in villages with small markets generally face. For example, when tomatoes go out of season many women buying goods for the week ahead may not even notice. While availability is an issue, accessibility and utilization are the greater issues. Even when one can find the tomatoes, by and large, they are too much of an expense. Out of my daily budget of $1, 10% of it would go towards 1/2 tomatoes in my daily intake, which is a considerably large portion of a truly small amount. While it would provide a bit of nutrients of the servings I should be getting of fruits and vegetables, it most definitely did not keep me full or energized to perform many laborious tasks. Many Malians on a regular basis go without utilizing such delicious items because they are so costly. They are also a delicate plant that needs to be cared for during growth and a heavy amount of water is needed for feeding. This is just a bit of the larger picture of the issues of food insecurity and how hunger is enlarged in a rural, poor climate setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment